4.23.2008

Round 2 Prognosticating

Man, do I ever love the playoffs. It feels like there's hockey on TV 24/7. Tonight is the first night in 2 weeks with no hockey. That gives me time to wrap up Round 1 and make my Round 2 predictions.

The first round was exciting and what I loved the most, I think, was discovering how exciting it was to watch the Washington Capitals play. I was truly saddened when they lost last night. If they sign a good goalie for next season, they will be a team to watch.

As far as my predicting abilities go, I seem to have lost a step. Last year, I was perfect until the final, but so far, I'm at 75%. If 2 out of 3 wasn't so bad for Meatloaf, I suppose 3 out of 4 is fine for me.

In the West, I expected Anaheim to move past Dallas, but I have to say that I'm very happy to see that idiot Pronger and his lads hit the links. As for the East, I really hoped the Caps would beat the hated Flyers, but alas, it was not to be.

So, what's on tap for Round 2? Let's see...

WESTERN CONFERENCE:

San Jose v. Dallas

I was glad that Dallas got rid of Burkie's boys and I would have loved to see the Flames upset the Sharks. I should, then, be rooting for Dallas.

The Sharks, however, might just give Mickey Ribs and his posse all they can handle. San Jose's big forwards, (Thornton, Cheechoo, Marleau) will not have to face hard hitting D-men like Phaneuf and Regehr, so they may have more space. This could mean trouble for Dallas.

I also think that the Sharks have the edge in nets.

Sharks in 7


Detroit v. Colorado

This will be the series to watch in the West (I hope). Sure, we're not in 1996 anymore, but there is some serious bad blood between these two teams.

In theory, the Wings should be the clear winners, but I don't think it will be that easy. Detroit has goaltending issues and the Avalanche have benefited from a reborn Jose Theodore. If I were the Wings, I would start inviting Paris Hilton to the games.

While the Avs have shown that they're for real, there is a world of difference between the Wild offence and the Wings' firepower up-front.

Theo will be good, but he can't do it all.

Wings in 6


EASTERN CONFERENCE:

New York v. Pittsburgh

If the Wings and Avs series is the one to watch in the West, this is the one the entire NHL fan base will want to watch. Crosby, Jagr, Malkin, Drury, Hossa, Gomez...This is a series made for Broadway.

Pittsburgh seemed dominant in their sweep of the Senators, but they did face the worst team to qualify for the 2008 playoffs. I'm pretty sure that the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins could have done away with this version of the Sens.

The Rangers are, clearly, not the Sens. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that the Rangers are the team to beat in the East. They have an incredibly strong lineup and can come at anyone in waves. Needless to say, they have a rock in goal.

This will be a great series and experience will win it in the end.

Rangers in 7


Montreal v. Philadelphia

Although I wanted the Caps to beat the Flyers, I have to admit that this scenario favours the Habs.

Philly did a good job beating one of the hottest teams down the stretch and it'll help that Brière has found his touch. Biron was also surprisingly strong.

The Habs, as we all know, had their hands full with the pesky B's and, finally, showed their mettle in Game 7. Montreal's forwards are fast and pesky and can make the opposing defenders skate in circles.

Since Philly's D-men are not as strong as the B's and that, as a team, the Flyers are not as well-coached as Boston. Hopefully, the Canadiens will know how to exploit that.

Canadiens in 6