5.14.2006

Shocker?

So I've been waiting most of the day for our Ottawa "correspondents" to give us their analysis of the Sens - Sabres series, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

So far, all I've received is an sms from Moi containing a certain four-letter word (hint: it sounds like puck) and a golf invitation from Ballzov. I thought that was particularly poetic.

In their absence, I will give my quick impression of the series.

In my opinion, Ottawa's quick exit from the 2006 NHL playoffs is the result of one thing, intensity or, rather, the lack of it. Last night's game was just one example of how little intensity most of the Senator players showed throughout the series.

The winning goal by Pominville will be the play that most will point to as an example of that lack of intensity and they would be right. How any player can simply walk in on net, one on three, against a team facing elimination, is simply beyond me. I was just as puzzled when, earlier in the game, Chris Drury waltzed in untouched against three Senators and scored.

In today's paper, Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredson, explained that he was surprised at the quick move by Pominville. He also said that he was afraid to put a hand on him for fear of being penalized.

Come on! This is the Stanley Cup playoffs and your team is on the brink of elimination and you can't even make an effort, even a legal one, to stop an opposing player? And what if a penalty was called? It's still better to be shorthanded than on the golf course. Weak. Very weak.

As we were flying back from a conference last night, Lubelly asked me if I thought that, in the event of an Ottawa loss, the Sens brass would make some major changes in the off-season. I said I didn't think they needed to, but that they will need to make some changes.

The first change will have to come in goal. Emery is not the guy to blame for the Sens early exit, but you can't count on him to lead you to the cup just yet. Muckler and Murray will also have to address the issue of intensity. If they bring in a few experienced playoff leaders and let go some of their, soft, excess baggage, they will fare better than they did this year.

That's my take on it, but what do I know? I predicted that the Sens would beat the Sabres in this round.