7.05.2006

Confessions of a hockey fan

Forgive me father, it's been almost two weeks since my last post. To make up for my absence, I will write the longest post ever. You've been warned.

So I leave the blogosphere for a few days (Canada Day weekend + tons of work + great weather = less blogging time) and I come back to the new "new" NHL. Serves me right for leaving town on deadline for UFA signings. Is it just me or was there more movement than usual? Hell, it's not even over.

Before I comment on the major moves, though, I want to comment on what was the biggest story of them all: the retirement of one of the classiest athletes of all-time.

Steve Yzerman hung up his skates this week and the NHL, as well as the entire sporting world, will miss him deeply. Yzerman was not only one of the games most skilled players, he was one of the most respected and well-liked players in the game.

Stevie Y has always been one of my favourite players, but I've always had a difficult time giving him a label. You could say he was a finesse player, because he was one of the most skilled players in recent memory, but he was also one of the grittiest. You could say he was a gritty player, but that would be too limiting. He never shied away from the physical aspect of the game, but he couldn't be classified as a power-forward. He was just a great, all-around player that was a born leader and never, ever, quit.

In the end, he doesn't need a label. He's Steve Yzerman: a 22-year veteran (20 years as Captain!) of what is perhaps the most grueling team sport we know. He is 6th on the all-time points leaders list and has lead his team, his ONLY team, to three Stanley Cup victories. Not to mention that he has also won the Conn Smythe trophy, the Lester B. Pearson trophy and an Olympic gold medal.

After his final game in May, Rob wrote a great piece on Yzerman right here on Puck This! It's a great read and, if you haven't read it, I suggest you do: Last Dance of Stevie Wonder.

Now, onto some comments on all the movement in the last week...

  • Zdeno Chara and Marc Savard to Boston: Although I knew Boston was going to be in the hunt for new faces after they dumped Thornton and Samsonov, I didn't think they would get a big name (and giant man) like Chara. I also like the pickup of Savard. For some reason, that I can't explain, I like this guy and I think he gets a raw deal with the critics. I guess we'll see what he's made of now.
  • Chris Pronger to the Ducks: I won't get into the Pronger-bashing that has been going on in the Oilogosphere, but if you want to read all about, head over to the Battle of Alberta. Although the circumstances under which he left Edmonton were fishy at best, I just don't think we have enough information to bash him or his wife.

  • Either way, the Oilers were seriously screwed and got a raw deal. Nothing against Joffrey Lupul (or Mr. Rachel Hunter), who's a great rising young star and an Edmonton native, but he won't make up for losing one of the best defensemen in the league.

    Pronger will join a Ducks team that is looking more and more like a Western Conference powerhouse. Think about it: the Ducks have BOTH Chris Pronger and Scott Niedermayer on their blue line. That's the most solid-looking back-end I've seen since the last Jennifer Lopez video. Hiyo!
Other notable moves:
Those who stayed:
  • Redden signs with Ottawa: The Sens will find out soon enough if they should have kept Chara instead.
  • Pisani and Roloson sign with Edmonton: The two stars of the 2006 playoffs will be back with the Oilers. Pisani was a no-brainer, but Roloson is 36 and will have knee surgery in the summer. To say that that is risky is an understatement in this case.
  • Patrick Elias signs with the Devils: Lou keeps his hands on possibly the most sought after UFA forward. (Who inks a player for 7 years nowadays?)
  • Erik and Eric stay in Carolina: Cole and Staal will be mainstays with the Hurricanes for a few years to come. This team is for real.
...and the inertia award goes to: Bob Gainey. Seriously, WTF? The Habs are in dire need of a strong centerman and some quality "D". Sheldon just can't cut it anymore and Koivu may not be back. Wake up!

There were, of course, many ore moves that I didn't comment on, but if you got this far, why don't you check out the list of free agents to see who Gainey won't pick up over the summer.