4.21.2006

Pick This!

OK, I know this is technically late as some of the games have started, but I swear I haven't yet seen a minute of action. I also haven't yet looked at the scores so far.

Here are my predictions for the first round (I'm not Rob "Kreskin" Huck who has the cohones to predict the eventual cup winner):


Detroit v. Edmonton

The wings had a great regular season, but I have a sneaking suspicion that they are a little too old and that their goalie is not quite strong enough to take them very far. And, let's face it, when you play most of your games against Columbus, Chicago and St. Louis, it makes winning a bit easier. Also, I love the Oilers and Ryan Smyth might be my favourite current player. Yes, folks, I have enough cohones to predict an upset in this series. Oilers in 7.


Dallas v. Colorado

I have to agree with Huck on this one. As much as I like Colorado, Dallas can "one up" them in every aspect. Also, Theodore is still full of holes. Stars in 5.


Calgary v. Anaheim

The Flames my just go all the way this year. Despite their apparent lack of scoring during the regular season, they are a solid team with very few weak spots. Plus, they have the best goalie in the world right now. Flames in 6.


Nashville v. San Jose

The Sharks have been reborn with the arrival of Joe Thornton. He makes that team so much better that I don't think the Preds can take them. It's too bad because Teemu also was reborn this season and it was fun to see him tear it up. San Jose in 6.


Ottawa v. Tampa

The Sens will win this one, but I don't think they will have it as easy as Shaky and Huck think they will. As much firepower as they have and as strong as their top four D-men are, they are weak in goal. Also, Tampa Bay have some snipers of their own who have proven that they can wake up for the playoffs. Sens in 7.


Carolina v. Montreal

Since I've moved to Montreal, I have really taken a liking to the Habs. Every day is like a soap opera with the organization and the press and I know more details about the players' lives than I know about most of my friends. I'm rooting for the old "Sainte Flanelle", but the 'Canes will take it in a walk. Canes in 5.


New Jersey v. New York

As much as the Rangers have improved this season, the Devils are incredibly hot right now. They are playing like the best team in the league and Brodeur is on fire. With all due respect to Jagr and his crew, the Devils will take this one. Devils in 6.


Buffalo v. Philadelphia

This is going to be a very close series with two teams that match up really well against each other. I like the confidence the Sabres have put into Brière and the way he has responded. I'm also impressed by the way Simon Gagné has become the star player he was meant to be. Also, I the rookies Mike Richards and Jeff Carter have really been great for Philly. This is a tough one to call because one player can change the course of the series. That player is Peter Forsberg and we don't know if he's at 100%. I'm going to gamble and say that he is. Flyers in 6.