6.19.2006

Clutch

HurricanesCelebrate


Wow. The greatest Stanley Cup championship in more than a decade (and perhaps the greatest best-of-5 championship of all time, if you take away those two awful shut outs) has seen the Carolina Hurricanes victorious over the Edmonton Oilers in a well-played game 7 in Raleigh.


I mean, wow.

It was a fantastic show for all involved though I'm not going through it here. A few words about the series, however:

  • Both teams showed up to play when their backs were on the line, meaning both teams were chock full of clutch performers who had passion to spare. Thanks for the memories, boys.
  • It was wonderful to see almost half of all the hockey fans in both Carolinas come out and cheer their team in the RBC Center. I'm sure hockey has a long and prosperous future extending up to - and, possibly, including - the next decade in that building.
  • I can't say enough about Rod Brind'Amour and, I'm sure, neither could their teammates, given the chance. Cam Ward was an inspired choice for the Conn Smythe, considering his keeping his team in every game, even the blowout, but Rod the Bod was the consensus leader for his team. His name should join the immortals.
  • Not only did I win $40 from my bartender and co-worker, but, with Justin Williams' empty net which finished off the Oil, I won my very first hockey pool. Farkin' 'A'!
  • Kudos to the Edmonton Oiler players, who showed plenty of heart and guts, at least since the playoffs began. I have nothing but respect for the lot of them.
  • The same can't be said for the idiot E-tards who were among the 400 arrested on Saturday night or those who allowed other E-tards to act like E-tards at a time when North American sporting audiences had their eyes focussed on their city. I suppose it only goes to show that, for those "fans", finishing second only means you're the biggest loser.
  • And, for one last time, let's hear it for Hartford!
Congrats, Canes! You deserved that Cup.