6.05.2006

I await my turn on 'CSI'

Well, I'm not as good as Huck because I didn't have the Ballz-ov to make my predictions for the entire playoffs at the very beginning. I did, however, make predictions for each round before they began and, for the third round, I was perfect. Unlike Rob, I don't depend on psychic ability. I prefer to say that I analyse each matchup with forensic-like precision. Yeah, right.

Basically, my thinking was this: I wavered on the two final teams in the second round. I lost my faith in them. They proved me wrong and I, therefore, had to pick them for the next round. They, obviously, didn't disappoint. Now comes the hard part. I have to pick one to lose.

Here's how my forensic-like mind sees the cup final play out: Carolina will bring more skill and speed up front and Edmonton will block all the shooting lanes and will have the edge on defence and penalty killing. That's pretty much obvious.

The difference in the series will be Chris Pronger and the rest of the Oilers defence (both the rearguards and the entire team defence). None of the Carolina forwards have faced the likes of Pronger this season and they will be in for a very rude awakening. Staal (who may already be hindered by injury), will show his youth and won't be able to handle having Pronger in his face all night. The veterans like Brind'Amour, Stillman, Recchi and the like will adjust better, but not enough.

Oil in 6.