5.18.2006

Third Round Hunches

Well, I was pretty much the opposite of Huck in the second round. I batted 0.250, which is still a better average than Barry Bonds. I was not only off in my picks, but alos in the length of the series.

Following my second round hunches, Freak-o-nomics commented on how most analysts and fans tend to predict longer series in the second round than in the first. His comments were bang-on (a must-read, really) and I seem to have fallen right into this trap. Here's where I went wrong (mostly):

Anaheim v. Colorado:

My pick: Ducks in 7
Winner: Ducks in 4
San Jose v. Edmonton:

My pick: Sharks in 7
Winner: Oil in 6
Carolina v. New Jersey:

My pick: Devils in 6
Winner: Canes in 5
Ottawa v. Buffalo:
My pick: Sens in 7
Winner: Sabres in 5
Predictions for 3rd Round:

Now, I have to say that, after watching more games in the second round, I got to know the western teams better (who know Shawn Horcoff was lightning fast?). Despite my bad predictions, the teams that make up the final four are all well-balanced and hungry to win. Also, all of them are fast, really fast, which will make for great hockey (unless the officials start letting "the players decide the outcome").

Finally, all of the four teams have stellar goaltending. It's unbelievable that three of the four goalies are rookies.

That being said, here's what my gut tells me...

Carolina v. Buffalo:
I've not only copied Huck's template for predictions, but I'll actually steal his first line: "This will be the best series in the 2006 playoffs, hands down." I will pay more interest to the Oilers - Sharks series, but this one will be filled with an unmatched level of skill. So far the Sabres have yet to meet a team that could match their speed and intensity. The Canes will not only be up to the task, but they'll bring in more than Buffalo can handle.

Canes in 6

Anaheim v. Edmonton:

I don't think I saw Anaheim play a single game in the regular season, but I've watched many of their games in the playoffs. They are quite impressive, especially when it comes to team defense. The whole squad has committed to the "defense first" philosophy.

I don't think, however, that they have yet to play a team who plays with the desire and intensity of the Oilers. Edmonton will not only bring skill, but a physical style of play that the Ducks are not accustomed to.

This will be the tipping point (also, I'm officially on the bandwagon...sorry Huck).

Oilers in 7