5.21.2006

Can You Hear The Drums Fernando?

Is there a team in the 2006 NHL playoffs that has shown more grit and team cohesion than the Oilers? I haven't seen any.

The Oilers won again tonight and leave Anaheim with what now looks like a huge 2 - 0 lead in games. When you consider that most of the Edmonton fans would have been ecstatic at the thought of the Oilers simply earning a split a stealing the home ice advantage from the Ducks.

A few observations from the game:

1. Roloson was simply awesome. He seems to be deeply ensconced in what is commonly referred to as "the zone". Unlike Huck, I think he's for real (at least for this year's playoffs).

2. Peca has been just as awesome. He has 4 goals in his last 6 games; all of them were quite impressive. For over a week now, I've been asking myself who number 37 is and what did he do with the regular season Mike Peca.

3. Bob Neale and/or Harry Cole are just awful. I can't even tell them apart anymore. How nay professional sports commentator cannot learn the names of the players on the only Canadian team still in the playoffs is beyond me. He, they or whoever was on tonight kept getting Peca and Pisani mixed up and referred to any of the Edmonton defensemen as, well, the Edmonton defenseman.

This is for number 34:

There was something in the air that night
The stars were bright Fernando
They were shining there for you and me
For liberty Fernando
Though we never thought that we could lose
There's no regret
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, Fernando
If I had to do the same again
I would, my friend, Fernando