5.04.2006

Where I went right

Unlike last season, where I picked Toronto to play in the Cup final, my predictions for the Eastern Conference were nearly bang on. Then again, I peered deep into my crystal ball and ended up picking all four of the higher seeds to win.

Against all odds, that's how it turned out. Spooky, no?


Ottawa v. Tampa:

My pick: Sens in 5
Winner: Sens in 5

There was simply no contest between an untested goalie behind a fantastic defense corps and the pylon 180 feet down ice which wore different jerseys, depending on John Tortorella's mood.


Carolina v. Montreal:
My pick: Canes in 5
Winner: Canes in 6

I had expected Hurricanes 'tender Martin Gerber to grab hold of the series and give the Habs a well-deserved spanking. I didn't expect Montreal to lose their captain nor did I see backup Cam Ward make a case as an early Conn Smythe candidate. However, I did predict that the difference would be Captain Carolina, Rod Brind'Amour, whose brawn and endurance are dwarfed only by his heart.


New Jersey v. New York:
My pick: Devils in 6
Winner: Devils in 4

Though I was aware of the Devils' 11-game winning streak heading into the playoffs, I'm often reluctant to base my assumptions on regular season trends in the last few games before the playoffs. But I did mention how Marty Brodeur seemed rarin' to carry his team on his back and how Elias and Gionta were catching fire at the right time. Looking back, I should not have given the Rangers the benefit of the doubt. They were terrible.


Buffalo v. Philadelphia:
My pick: Sabres in 6
Winner: Sabres in 6

I'm quite proud of my prediction. I knew Robert Esche couldn't win the big one and he didn't. I knew the Flyers could win if Forsberg wanted to play, and they did. Unfortunately for the idiot Bob Clarke, Forsberg decided to play in only 2 games.Good for me, bad for Philly.




Predictions (because I know you're pining for them):

Ottawa v. Buffalo:
This will be one hell of a series. The Sabres have come off a high-flying, fast-skating series with a big, bad defense-minded crew and emerged with confidence filled to the brim. The Sens, as good as they are, played a weak team with even weaker goaltenders and haven't run up against a challenge as of yet. Of the many factors to consider, perhaps the most important will be that of off-ice leadership. Lindy Ruff out-coached the pants off of the great Ken Hitchcock. Will he do the same to Bryan Murray?

My instinct says, absolutely. Sabres in 6


Carolina v. New Jersey:
At risk of falling into hyperbole, this will be the greatest spectacle in the history of professional sports the world has ever known, at least since Pericles was ruling over the Golden Age of Athens. New Jersey is hotter than Jessica Alba, with a healthy mix of youthful exuberance and veteran leadership. The Canes, on the other hand, are a hungry bunch with a healthy mix of, er, youthful exuberance and veteran leadership. Brodeur is rightly recognized as being the best goalie in the world. In contrast, Cam Ward is too inexperienced to think this is something which means anything significant.

That might prove to be the difference. Canes in 7