5.04.2006

Second Round Hunches

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not much of a prognosticator. This is how I fared in the first round:

My Pick: Carolina over Mtl in 5
Result: Canes in 6

My Pick: Philly over Buffalo in 6
Result: Sabres in 6

My Pick: Sens over Tampa in 7
Result: Sens in 5

My Pick: NJ over NY in 6
Result: NJ in 4

My Pick: Sharks over Preds in 6
Result: San Jose in 5

My Pick: Edmonton over Detroit in 7
Result: Oil in 6

My Pick: Dallas over Colorado in 5
Result: Avs in 5

My Pick: Calgary over Anaheim in 6
Result: Ducks in 7

So, I was 5 for 8. Not bad. It's one better than Maggie the Macaque.

For the record, here are my picks for round 2:

Ottawa v. Buffalo

This will be one of the fastest series ever. Lots of speed and skill on both
sides. Also, lots of intangibles with two rookie goalies in nets. It's a tough
one to call, but I think the Sens will take it by using their newly acquired
tougness. Ottawa in 7
Carolina v. New Jersey

These are also two great teams that have lots of skill. The Canes outplayed the
Habs in the first round, but just barely. The Devils, however, are the hottest
team in the league. Brodeur will make sure they get past the upstart Ward. Devils in 6
San Jose v. Edmonton

Joe Thornton and Chris Pronger know each other well. After this series, they may
as well put up a tent on Brokeback Mountain. Pronger will be in Big Joe's face
for the entire series. This will be the key to the series. If Pronger, and the
other Oiler players can shut down Thornton, they stand a chance. It'll be tough
though, as Marleau can pick up the slack. Sharks in 7
Colorado v. Anaheim

I can't really get into this matchup. Not really interested. It will, however,
come down to which José Théodore shows up. If he finds his 2002 form, the Avs will take it. If he plays like Red Light Racicot, they have no chance. I've learned not to bet on Théodore. Ducks in 7