6.10.2006

News that is absurd

It's no secret to those who visit this site that Beeg is a Habs fan and that Rob is really not. I, however, fall somewhere in between. I seem to get more interested in the team every year (I'm a somewhat recent resident of Montreal).

I have taken more of a liking to the Canadiens since the arrival of Bob Gainey, a man who I think was an amazing player and is as good a GM. The addition of Guy Carbonneau is also a move that I liked.

Today, however, I read something that made me doubt the sanity of both Gainey and Carbo. Rumour has it that the two former Habs captains are seriously considering hiring Mario Tremblay as an assistant coach (French only). To me, that is one of the most perplexing things I've read in a long time.

Tremblay's tenure as a head coach in Montreal was, to say the least, a bust. The "bionic blueberry", as he is known in these parts, never succeeded in inspiring anyone, neither the players, nor the fans. He was a petulant hot-head that will be remembered only for being the man who let the best goalie of all-time stew in his own sh*t for 9 goals and then drove him out of town.

Does anyone have an idea why this makes sense? Am I missing something here?