6.19.2006

Give it up for the Whalers

Well, it's all over.

The 2006 NHL season is in the books and the Carolina Hurricanes are the champions. And they are very deserving champions. The other winners are NHL fans who, as most will say, the "new NHL" experiment was a success.

The Edmonton Oilers ended up on the losing end tonight, but they have to be given lots of credit for their improbable playoff run. This was one of the grittiest teams I have ever seen and they battled hard again in Game 7. They, unfortunately, ran into a Carolina team that had all the answers to every single Oiler challenge. No glass slipper for this Cinderella story.

I was rooting for the Oilers, but I can't say that I'm not happy to see many of the Hurricane players lift the Stanley Cup. I love players like Brind'Amour, Weight, Wesley, Recchi and the younger stars like Cole and Staal.

With all due respect to Cam Ward, however, I cannot wrap my head around the fact that he was awarded the Conn Smythe trophy. The man let in 8 goals in the last two games and wasn't really tested in Game 7. He's a great rookie and he'll have a great career, but he's no MVP. Especially not when you consider the contributions of Brind'Amour, Stillman and Staal.

Regardless of who wins, I will always love the team passing around the Cup as they skate around the ice. What I'll never get, however, is why the let so many people (who are not media) on the ice. There are guys in shorts and t-shirts raising their arms to the crowd like they actually did something. Give 'em the boot!

That's it for tonight. More analysis to come when I've had a chance to mull things over a little more.